Thursday 12 September 2013

Srimadh Bagawatham - Prahalada Charitram Part 6



 In the last post Hiranyakashipu made Prahaladan drink the venom of Karkotakan.

Time passed but nothing seemed to happen to Prahladan. At Namakkal, Lord Ranganatha is seen to be reclined on Karkotakan as Karkotakan wished the Lord to lie on his coils for a change. The cave face is charred since it was entered by Karkotakan and his toxic breath burnt the rock. Even the toxic venom which burnt rock couldn’t harm Prahaladan.
‘Take this as a sign and spare this child,’ begged Kayathu.
‘Alright I will send him back to school,’ said Hiranyakashipu. ‘I will give him one more chance to turn in to a new leaf.’
Within a week Shandan and Amarkan returned with Prahladan.
‘We give up,’ they said. ‘Earlier we only had to deal with Prahladan but now he has got all the other children perform Hari Nama Sankeerthanam!’
holydham.com


‘Brat!’ yelled Hiranyakashipu in rage. ‘I will kill you with my own hands! Who is He? Where is He?’
‘Why do you have this doubt father that if he is here or not? He is everywhere! There is not a single place in which He is not present. In fact He is even present in you, in me and even in your words!’
‘Do you see this pillar?’ asked Hiranyakashipu. ‘I built this pillar with my own hands! Every inch of this pillar was built by me. Do you see Him in this pillar?’
‘I see Him in this pillar as well since He is present everywhere.’
 ‘Liar! Why do you pretend to see things which I can’t see! I will cut your head! If He is there in this pillar let Him come and put your head back on your body!’
‘He won’t do this task.’
‘If He won’t do this task why do you keep singing His praise? Come to me your father for I will protect you!’
‘You misunderstand me; He won’t do the task of putting my head back on my body because He is not going to sit by and watch while you lay your hand on my head!’
‘I will break this pillar with my mace! If He is not there, I will break open your head like a lion breaking open an elephant’s skull and will drink your blood!’
Hiranyakashipu raised his mace and hit the pillar hard. From the place where he hit the pillar and the very instant he hit the pillar appeared the Lord as Narasimha with the face of a lion and the body of the man. 
bal-mukund.blogspot.com

The Lord appeared with the head of a lion because Hiranyakashipu had threatened to crush Prahaladan’s head like a lion crushing an elephant’s head. Lord Narasimha appeared out of the very built which had been built personally by Hiranyakashipu. Since Hiranyakashipu had sculpted the pillar with his own hands he could not say that Prahaladan was playing a trick by concealing this fearsome form within the pillar!
The Lord laughed loudly. Hiranyakashipu’s attendants ran away in fear while the Lord picked the trembling Hiranyakashipu in His hands and carried Him to the front porch. There, sitting on top of the stairs which were neither part of the inside nor of the outside, the Lord placed Hiranyakashipu on His lap. Hiranyakashipu realized that he was neither lying on the ground nor was he hanging from the sky and as he looked at the setting Sun he knew that it was neither day nor night as twilight had set in. Fearfully Hiranyakashipu looked at the Lord’s nail as the Lord tore Hiranyakashipu’s belly with His nails which were neither living nor dead. A person’s nails can be cut without feeling pain and yet they grow long indicating the presence of life.

The Lord’s half human half animal form was to depict the animal nature present in Hiranyakashipu and the human nature present in Prahaladan.
The Lord laughed loudly while killing Hiranyakashipu. At Satya Lokam Lord Brahma was meditating while Goddess Saraswati was playing the veena. The vibration from the Lord’s laugh knocked Lord Brahma down but the vibration didn’t affect any of the other celestials. Only Lord Brahma fell down and it was the Lord’s way of cautioning Lord Brahma to be careful in the future while confering boons upon evil minded people like Hiranyakashipu.
The Lord incarnated not to protect Prahladan as He could have done this task without having to incarnate but to protect Prahaladan’s words. Earlier the Lord had protected Prahladan from fire, snakes, elephants and poison without incarnating. He incarnated now because with firm faith Prahladan told Hiranyakashipu that the Lord was present inside the pillar. Thus to uphold Prahladan’s faith He incarnated the instant Hiranyakashipu’s mace touched the pillar. Like Prahladan we should worship the Lord with faith in our pooja and temples and feel the presence of the Lord in the archa muthies.
The Lord also protected Brahma’s words by incarnating with a face of lion and a body of man. Such a being was never created by Lord Brahma. He used His nails to finish Hiranyakashipu as nails can neither be classified as living or non-living. The time was twilight hour and He killed Hiranyakashipu on the porch stairs which were neither inside not outside.
All the celestials gathered and marveled at the Lord’s incarnation. After killing Hiranyakashipu the Lord went inside the court and sat on Hiranyakashipu’s throne in order to bless the throne as it would now belong to Prahaladan.

All the celestials were afraid to approach the Lord and requested Sridevi Nachair to approach Him but she too refused not because she was afraid but to reveal the qualities of Prahaladan.
Prahaladan approached the Lord with his palms joined. The Lord looked at Prahaladan with love like a lion looking at its cub with love after hunting prey. The Lord placed his hand on Prahladan’s head and blessed Him.
‘Child, ask me any boon you want.’
‘Please forgive my father so that he may go to a good abode.’
‘I have already forgiven your father. Don’t worry about him. Ask me something else.’
‘All evil doers on earth must turn a new leaf and become good.’
‘Granted. Ask me something else.’
‘I don’t wish for any boons for myself from you as I have already got your Supreme Grace. What else could I want?’
‘I insist. Ask me something else.’
‘I should always stay true to you in any birth I might take and never ask you any boon as a bargain for my devotion.’
The Lord was pleased with Prahladan. ‘In addition to what you havea asked me, I promise that I will never kill anyone belonging to your lineage.’
As per His promise, the Lord did not kill Bali, Namuchi and Banasura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog