Friday 9 May 2014

Srimadh Bagawatham - Rukmini Kalyanam Part 2



The letter opened with,
śrī-rukmiy uvāca
śrutvā guān bhuvana-sundara śṛṇvatāḿ te
nirviśya kara-vivarair harato 'ńga-tāpam
rūpaḿ dśāḿ dśimatām akhilārtha-lābhaḿ
tvayy acyutāviśati cittam apatrapaḿ me

Rukmini Piratti wrote, ‘I heard about your divine qualities and then about your beautiful form I fell in love with you. I have fixed my shameless mind upon you!’
Perumal has to be first known by listening to the upanyasams by Acharyans. Maitreyar Maharishi instructed his wife that “atma va are…” in order to know Paramatma one must first hear about Him.
Piratti shows that Perumal is the only one who has the capacity to bear/protect the jeevatma. Thus He is the jeevatma’s true husband.
kā tvā mukunda mahatī kula-śīla-rūpavidyā-
vayo-dravia-dhāmabhir ātma-tulyam
dhīrā patiḿ kulavatī na vṛṇīta kanyā
kāle n-siḿha nara-loka-mano-'bhirāmam

Rukmini Piratti in her letter to Lord Krishna asked Him to marry her. Piratti states that she belongs to a good lineage and is hence best suited to marry Him.
tan me bhavān khalu vta patir ańga jāyām
ātmārpitaś ca bhavato 'tra vibho vidhehi
mā vīra-bhāgam abhimarśatu caidya ārād
gomāyu-van mga-pater balim ambujāka

‘Please come immediately and make me your wife. The kshatriyas leave burnt offerings outside the temple of Kotavai Devi before going for war. If a lion comes to smell the offering then they take it as a good omen. If a jackal smells it then they will lose the battle. Please make sure that I am not carried away by the jackal’
pūrteṣṭa-datta-niyama-vrata-deva-vipra
gurv-arcanādibhir alaḿ bhagavān pareśa
ārādhito yadi gadāgraja etya pāiḿ
ghātu me na damaghoa-sutādayo 'nye

‘I know you will come because I have followed all the niyams like Ekadashi fasting, performed charitable work out of the allowance given to me by my father and I respectfully worship all the deities and Brahmanas. I have done all the above with the sole intention of pleasing you.’
Piratti has explained Bagawad Geetha in just 7 slokas. She tells us that we must perform Karmas with the sole intention of pleasing Perumal.
śvo bhāvini tvam ajitodvahane vidarbhān
gupta sametya ptanā-patibhi parīta
nirmathya caidya-magadhendra-balaḿ prasahya
ḿ rākasena vidhinodvaha vīrya-śulkām

‘The wedding is to take place tomorrow. Please come with an army including your commander in chief so that while they fight with the Chedi army we can get married. Don’t worry as you will be victorious! Marry me by kidnapping me.’
anta-purāntara-carīm anihatya bandhūn
tvām udvahe katham iti pravadāmy upāyam
pūrve-dyur asti mahatī kula-deva-yātrā
yasyāḿ bahir nava-vadhūr girijām upeyāt
‘I am restricted to my inner quarters except in the morning when the bride is allowed to walk to the temple of Goddess Ambhika. Wait for me in your chariot near the temple. Carry me away only after I have worshiped the Goddess and come out of the temple. This way you wouldn’t have to fight with my relatives.’
yasyāńghri-pańkaja-raja-snapanaḿ mahānto
vānchanty umā-patir ivātma-tamo-'pahatyai
yarhy ambujāka na labheya bhavat-prasādaḿ
jahyām asūn vrata-kśān śata-janmabhi syāt
‘The great Lord Siva bears the waters of Ganga in his locks because the river originated from your feet. Such is your glory. If you do not carry me away, I will continue to perform penance in every birth following this one till you come to accept me.’
After reading the letter Perumal immediately started for Vidarbha along with Garudazhwar. His charioteer Darukan drove Perumal’s chariot. Bala Ramar heard the sound of Perumal’s chariot. After ascertaining the reason for Perumal’s trip, Balaramar immediately started after Perumal with a huge army so that he can assist Perumal.
As Perumal neared the city limits of Vidarbha, Garudazhwar urged Perumal to travel faster so that they can inform the anxious Piratti.
‘We can let her know from here itself,’ said Perumal as He sounded the Panchajanyam. He then shook His tulasi garland so that the sound from the conch and the fragrance of tulasi reached Rukmini Piratti and eased her anxiety.
As per Piratti’s instruction, Perumal waited till piratti worshiped Goddess Ambika and as she exited the temple He caught hold of her hand, pulled her into the chariot and drove away.
Meanwhile Balaramar arrived with the army and fought with the army of Sisupalan. Rukmi came to know about the incident and took a shortcut route to intercede Perumal and Piratti. With Piratti’s permission, Perumal defeated Rukmi and shaved Rukmi’s head and one half of the moustache to teach him a lesson.
The Divine couple wed after reaching Dwaraka.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog