Sunday 1 June 2014

Srimadh Bagawatham - Arjuna and The Brahmin

Continued From: http://thoughtsonsanathanadharma.blogspot.ca/2014/05/srimadh-bagawatham-king-and-brahmin.html



Once at Dwaraka, Arjuna visited Lord Krishna. It was customary for Arjuna to stay in a room closer to the front yard of Krishna’s mansion. One day, a few hours before dawn, a Brahmin stood outside in the front yard and started to yell at Krishna.
‘We don’t have a proper ruler! We are ruled by the enemy of Brahmins and as a result my children die as soon as they are born! He has failed as a ruler and some mistake He has made has caused mu children to die. Ask Him to come outside to answer me! Let Him bring my children back to me!’
Arjuna went outside to see who was making such accusations. He was surprised to see a learned Brahmin who was steadfast in practicing the Vedas standing outside.
‘Who are you? Why are you crying?’ asked Arjuna.
‘I am a Brahmin. I have lost eight sons as soon as they were born. Untimely death in a kingdom results when the king doesn’t govern properly,’
‘There is no king here,’ said Arjuna, ‘only a cowherd which is why He doesn’t answer you but don’t worry because I am here!’
‘And who are you?’
‘I am the great warrior Arjuna who wields the bow Gandiva. I wrestled with lord Siva and obtained the Pashupathastram. I have capacity to travel to all the different worlds. Is your wife about to deliver a child? ‘
‘Yes in another weeks time.’
‘Call me when the time comes. I will personally come and guard your home. No being can enter without my knowledge. I promise you that I will save this child of yours; if I fail, I will enter into the fire and offer my life as sacrifice.’
At the right time the Brahmin informed Arjuna. Arjuna covered every inch of the Brahmin’s home with a special arrow. He stood outside the delivery room with bow in hand. Soon Arjuna heard the cries of a new-born baby. The next instant the Brahmin rushed outside and cried, ‘the child has vanished!’
Arjuna ran here and there looking for signs of the intruder. He then turned to the Brahmin and said, ‘I can travel to every world there is. I will return with your child!’
Arjuna traveled to all the lokams including Yama lokam. Failing to find the child, he returned to Dwaraka. As he had failed, he decided to fulfill the promise made to the Brahmin. He lighted a fire in Krishna’s front yard and decided to enter it. Before entering the fire, he thought fondly about Lord Krishna and started to cry. He wondered if he would ever get another birth as Krishna’s friend. At that instant, Krishna came outside.
‘Arjuna what are you doing lighting a fire? It is summer, are you feeling cold even in this heat wave?’
‘Krishna,’ said Arjuna, ‘I have failed to keep up my promise and must enter the fire!’
‘What promise?’
‘I promised a Brahmin…’
‘The man who always laments in my yard whenever his infants die?’
‘Oh! Do you know about him?’
‘He heard that I retrieved my guru’s son and the six sons of mother Devaki. He wishes me to bring his children back to life as well.’
‘Why didn’t you help?’
‘I am not a king. I am a cowherd…’
‘Did you hear me say so? I am sorry I didn’t mean it in a bad way.’
‘My dear Arjuna, I wish everyone would call me as a cowherd. My favourite name is “Gopalan”. I didn’t help because if I started to bring back people to life, as soon as someone dies, people will bring the dead body here asking me to resurrect them. Everything happens per a person’s karma. I don’t like to interfere with their karma. But, come with me I know where the children are.’
‘Why are you interfering now?’
‘Because you are my devotee and I don’t wish for you to enter the fire. I interfere to release my devotees from the jaws of karma.’
Arjuna got inside Krishna’s chariot. As they started down the road, the Brahmin saw them riding together. Thinking that they must be traveling to bring his child back, the Brahmin walked towards the chariot. Krishna asked the Brahmin to ride with them.
The Brahmin sat next to Krishna with pride and looked to see if any of his friends were watching him travel with the Lord.
The chariot started its aerial ascent. Soon they traveled beyond Brahma’s Satya Lokam and reached the boundaries of the Universe called the Loka-Loka Mountains. As they crossed the boundary, they were engulfed by darkness. Lord Krishna released His Sudarsana Chakra which illuminated the path ahead. To the wonder of Arjuna, they arrived at the banks of River Viraja, crossed it and entered Sri Vaikuntham!
Lord Krishna entered the hall followed by Arjuna and the Brahmin. Even after arriving at Sri Vaikuntham, the Brahmin did not realize the futility of material life but kept searching for his children amongst the denizens of Sri Vaikuntham. As they entered the great hall of Paramapadam, they saw Lord Narayana seated on Adisesha with Peria Piratti on one side and Bhumi & Neela Devis on the other side. The Brahmin’s children were playing on the lap of Pirattis!
Paramapada Nathan stepped down from His throne and embraced Lord Krishna. Arjuna stood dumb struck at this amazing sight.
‘We have come to take the Brahmin’s children back to Dwaraka. Why did you bring them here?’
‘Ever since I descended as you to Earth, Pirattis do not stay here. They keep leaving to the banks of Yamuna to witness Rasa Lila! They find this form with the peacock feather crown most attractive. In order to please them, I personally took away these children so as to make you come up for a visit!’
The Lord returned with the Brahmin’s children. The Brahmin happily counted his children to make sure they were all there. He missed all the sights of Sri Vaikuntham which is impossible to be seen by mortal eyes. Lord Krishna brought everyone back to Dwaraka and returned the children to the Brahmin in front of everyone.
Many of us often wonder why the Lord doesn’t forcefully take us to Moksham. The above narrative I feel shows us that unless the jeevatma wishes for Moksham after spending its karma i.e. the jeevatma is freed from its karma vasanais, even if it goes to Moksham, it will not be able to stay there. The Lord makes us spend our karmas through one of the four paths, Bakthi, Gnana, Karma or Saranagathi margams and then takes us to Moksham once we have been freed of our accumulated karmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog