Monday 28 October 2013

Srimadh Bagawatham - Vamanavatarm Part 2







After the sacred thread ceremony, the celestials informed the Lord that Bali Chakravathi was performing the Ashwamedha sacrifivce at the northern bank of the Narmadâ River in the field of Bhrigukaccha.
‘I will fulfill your wishes by seeking alms from Bali,’ replied the Lord.
The Lord took His water pot and parasol with Him. Goddess Sri Devi never left His chest cavity.  The Lord knew that as long as Goddess Sri Devi’s compassionate grace continue to fall on Bali, He would never be able to take away the property of Bali.
‘Please step down from my chest cavity for a while,’ asked the Lord.
‘What for? What are you up to now?’
‘You know that I have incarnated as a Brahmachari. It doesn’t look good if my wife is seen in my chest cavity.’
‘Whether you incarnate as a Brahmachari or not is your business. Even if you are a Brahmachari, I won’t leave your vakshashthalan,’ she stated firmly.
‘then I have to cover my chest with deer skin.’
‘Why?’
‘My Vakshashthalam is your anthapuram (annex in palace where the queen lives).  It should be kept private.’
Thus the Lord covered His chest with deer skin and proceeded to the Northern Bank of Narmada to the Yagna Sala of Mahabali Chakravarthi.
Mahabali was making large donations to the Brahmins. The entire area reverberated with Vedic Manthrams.  Mahabali looked resplendant along with his wife Vindhyavali. He did pada pooja of all Bagawathas and donated anything they wished to have.
Mahabali was very tall and being an Asura he was very well built. Lord Vamana approache Mahabali. At first Mahabali did not notice the Lord as He looked very tiny next to Mahabali. The Lord’s effulgence was noticed by the Brahmins and Sages who stood up in respect. At once Mahabali looked down and saw the beautiful child Vamana. Mahabali’s heart melted at the site of the radiant Brahmachari. He thought that, ‘ this Brahmachari would be a suitable groom for one of my daughters.’ With reverence Mahabali washed Lord Vamana’s feet and placed the holy water with reverence on his head.
‘Dear Brahmin,’ said Bali. ‘What do you seek from me? Do you need a bride? If so I can offer you my daughter’s hand in marriage. Do you need land, elephants, gold? Ask me anything you require without hesitation for I will definitely make sure your request is fulfilled.’
‘Give me three strides of land measured by my feet.’
‘I don’t think I heard you correctly,’ replied Bali. ‘Please repeat your request again.’
‘Give me three strides of land measured by my feet,’ repeated Lord Vamana.
‘Three strides of land?’ asked Bali looking at Vamana’s feet in disbelief. Lord Vamana was so short that all the regular dwarfs looked like giants in comparison. Bali chakravarthi felt humiliated. ‘Is this child making fun of me?’ thought Bali.
‘What is the use of three strides of land? Take my daughter’s hand in marriage,’ offered Bali. Even though he was annoyed by Lord Vamana’s request, he forgot his anger when he looked at the Lord’s effulgence.
‘I don’t want a bride,’ replied the Lord. ‘Either give me three strides of land measured by my feet or reneg on your promise!’
‘You are not fit to be a Brahmin,’ exclaimed Bali.
‘Why do you say so?’ asked the Lord as He pulled the deer skin over His chest tightly.
‘A Brahmin must know how to praise a king to obtain wealth. A Brahmin must be an expert in milking wealth from the rich but you on the contrary neither praised me nor did you seek wealth from me! What can anyone do with three strides of land?’
The Lord is used to being praised and hence He does not know how to praise others since He has no experience in singing praises of others. He is also the giver of all things. He has never been on the receiving side and hence didn’t know how to beg for alms. The Lord sacrificed His qualities by begging for land even though He is the one who gives things to everyone, He hid His quality of Nithya Grihasthan (eternal householder) by pretending to be a Brahmachari, He who is very tall and contains the Universe within Him incarnated as a dwarf and finally He tried to sing the praise of Bali. He did all of these in order to help His devotees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog